The objectives of the OPTI-TRANS project are as follows:
- To provide an innovative, multi-modal personal navigation mobile LBS application which will interface with a core platform providing an optimum combination of use of public transport and car pooling facilities to the commuter.
- To develop the highly intuitive OPTI-TRANS platform consisting of the LBAG algorithm which will combine information from various sources (public transport DBs, personal commuter profiles, car-pooling services, etc.) in order to provide optimum routing and co-modal transportation to the commuter/traveller.
- To support the status of LBS as a key technology for implementing transport policies with the implementation of the OPTI-TRANS platform and the mobile LBS application which will demonstrate the feasibility of a dynamically updated, location-aware pedestrian and public transport route planning tool.
- To endeavour to standardise interfaces to Public Transport Authority databases in order to allow applications such as the OPTI-TRANS solution to be utilised across Europe (and consequently traversing border beyond Europe), thus providing seamless roaming to the users of the OPTI-TRANS solution.
- To assess the user requirement, evaluate and determine the adoption of available state-of-the-art technology enablers (LBS services and applications) and derive the technical specifications of the OPTI-TRANS platform while taking into consideration the early study performed on the technical feasibility of the overall system.
- To determine the specification of the OPTI-TRANS representative test cases and pilot scenarios, define concrete and measurable validation criteria and to define the architecture specificaiton of the OPTI-TRANS platform and GNSS-enabled mobile LBS application. The user-defined test cases and technological evaluation results will be acquired during the evaluation phase of the project. The participation of the Europe-wide leading players will ensure the importance of the OPTI-TRANS user-defined test cases and demonstrations.
- To conduct market surveys and develop a business model in order to determine the most efficient, funcational and user-acceptable operational model for the system as well as to demonstrate the commercial feasibility of the end product. The business model pertaining to the commercial exploitation of the OPTI-TRANS system will be defined from the perspectives of the various players involved in the concept (network operators, public transport authorities, end users, etc.), and to assess the various socio-economic and ethical apsects that are involved. The OPTI-TRANS concept will be measured and the system's added value will be demonstrated by conducting extended user trials, representative of the user-defined test cases.
- To effectively facilitate and encourage the dissemination (i.e. organisation of workshop embracing awareness sessions, presentations, feedback, etc) in order to promote awareness of the OPTI-TRANS solution, and advance exploitation of existing and emerging expertise and practices in the field of Location Based Services, and active participation in workshops, forums, tradeshows, etc.
- To build on previous FP6 work, namely to extend the Taxi-on-Demand system developed within the context of the FP6 IST project LIAISON, and to provide the appropriate experience for building this LBS solution to the Mass Market utilising work and findings from the FP6-Galileo project AGILE